The Silver Lining
By: Coach Tiffany Wimmer
Hey Fam. Tiffany here, your resident optimist. This isolation and social distancing thing is hard. This is SUPER hard for most of us (though there are a few introverts I know that are in heaven right now LOL).
We can almost always find the positive in what seems to feel like a really negative experience, so I thought I’d take a few minutes and outline #thesilverlining from this situation.
- For Time! As someone who is almost always anxious, it’s really nice to take a break from the clock. Usually I’m feeling stress around “Will I finish in time?” “Am I going to be the one blowing the cap?” “Will my friend beat me?” Right now, I’m simply getting my home workouts in, generally around the cap provided, but not feeling ANY stress around the time.
- We’re getting outside! We’re working out in garages and parks and getting time in the sun (but of course we are wearing sunscreen and/or protective clothing and hats, right?) Not only are our workouts going outside, but we’re riding our bikes and taking more walks too!
- Family time! I see the posts of families working out together, not just parents, but getting the kids involved and working out as a family. Family fitness is the best.
- We’re getting creative! Many of us have gotten creative with how we are socializing. Group video chats, virtually meeting friends for brunch, and increased social media connections. Not only are we getting creative with socializing, we are getting creative with how we work under these circumstances. Personally, I’m now teaching online yoga classes and it is really fun to explore new ways of doing business.
- Community. During times like these it’s really cool to see the sense of community that forms or strengthens. We’ve seen new Facebook groups form. Sam and Ed generously allowed us to rent equipment! People’s jobs are changing or unfortunately some are ending, but we have been able to connect them to companies who are hiring! Neighbors are coming together with acts of support from helping watch kids, to sidewalk chalk pictures, to helping with yard work. We are all in this together.
- Trying new things. How many of us have tried something new since all of this has happened? Rollerblading? Kayaking? Gardening? TikTok videos?
- Checking off the project list. Maybe we’ve got a little bit more downtime now, so we’ve been checking off our project list. How many of you have cleaned out closets or garages? What about painting projects (the entire box has a new coat of paint) that have gotten done? Cleaning the cars?
- Our pets are getting more attention! Those of us with furry friends at home, can attest to being home more means more dog walks or trips to the dog park, or more time snuggling with the cat. Time with pets has been shown to decrease stress and anxiety and it makes us (and them) feel good.
Though, we’re finding the good in a tough situation, know that if you’re falling on tough times, need help, or just need someone to talk to, your Rebels Fam is here for you. Reach out to us, we want to hear from you, we’ve got your backs.
We will all come out of this stronger, smarter (and for me a little fluffier) but overall, better.
Much love Fam.