RebelHealth is a part of our company that encompasses both the philosophy we embrace at CrossFit Rebels as well as our own (your coaches’) lifestyles. RebelHealth takes a look at nutrition, diet, our environment, the media and advertising claims, the RDA for nutrients, our habits, our challenges, and possibly our addictions and obsessions with food.
We help those wanting to improve their health, understand what they know and don’t know (ah ha! what you don’t know?), how food works, why we crave certain foods, what “real food” is, and most importantly, how to change your mind set and your routine so that you are always prepared with healthy meals and snacks. And our definition of healthy might not match yours!
As of June 2016, we have worked with over 550 people through Paleo Challenges and personal attention. That’s a lot of practical experience! This isn’t just some book learning, something “I got a certificate in”…but rather real life work with real people who have busy lives and want to get healthier.
YOU MUST “INVEST” IN YOUR HEALTH. MAKE A COMMITMENT
You’ll find there’s an investment required…both personal (time) and financial (money), but like any “investment”, you do it so it pays dividends in the future. At the turn of the century through around the 1950’s American’s spent around 34-40% of their income on food. Today, we spend around 13% of our income on food. Check out this great graphic from VisualEconomics.com. And we’re definitely sicker as a population today than we were in the past 100 years. It’s time for a change!
And that’s what RebelHealth does. It arms you with knowledge and prepares you so you know what to do – what to eat – how to prepare…how to find the best deals on Paleo foods…whether you choose to follow what you know is right or not is for another time! THERE’S NO LIMIT TO WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH KNOWLEDGE. We will invest with you – but not without you. In other words, if you’re committed, so are we. If you’re looking for someone to do this for you, you’re in the wrong place. If you’re looking to go on the cheap, you’re going to see a lot of canned tuna because like in the past, health seems to be linked to quality of food.
Video Collection from a Paleo Challenge at CrossFit Rebels
We’re not a subscription site, we’re not a private, members only blog, and we don’t keep our theories on nutrition, the outcomes and successes, or how we run things a secret. We put it all out there for you to see, whether you’re an athlete at our box or not. Our Paleo Challenges are huge successes! In fact, they’re an absolute blast to be a part of, they work, and their educational. From our tracking to point systems to the summary of our kickoff seminars, we operate along the premises of CrossFit where knowledge regarding our health and fitness should be out there for everyone to see, not kept a secret. So, yes, we will (and have already been) copied by other boxes, and that’s OK. Really, it’s fine. Each of the Paleo Challenges we’ve done has evolved and they continue to get more informative and more effective. It’s OK that our format, forms, and our three new keys to success will be “borrowed”by other gyms to make their Challenges more effective, because after all, it’s all about making us healthier right? All of us!
Try The Paleo Diet for 30 days! 30 days…one month…a small time commitment for the beginning of a lifetime of health! 30 days to eliminate food addictions, food allergies, gut-damaging foods…doesn’t sound that hard, right? Every few months we “launch” into a structured Paleo Challenge here at the box, but if you want to try it yourself, all you need is a little time to plan, a guideline from which to plan your meals, some support, and the desire to be as healthy as possible!
Below are some resources, websites, etc.
for your information and to help you understand
MORE of why this is so awesome!
Robb Wolf’s website, www.robbwolf.com
Chris Kresser’s website, www.chriskresser.com
Mark Sisson’s website, www.marksdailyapple.com
Diane SanFilippo’s website, www.balancedbites.com
The Whole 9, www.the whole9life.com
The Paleo Mom, www.thepaleomom.com (don’t let the name fool you, this is a smart lady!)
RESOURCES FOR YOUR PALEO JOURNEY
Paleo Resources from RebelHealth (websites, books, other)
The Paleo Guide to Food Additives, by Paleo Leap
The Definitive Guide to Oils, by Marks Daily Apple
The Paleo Guide to Chocolate, by Paleo Leap
List of Cold Water Fish
List of sugars and sugar substitutes – coming soon
The Dairy Manifesto, by The Whole 9
Paleo Poor: Your Guide to the Grocery Store, by The Whole 9
The Definitive Guide to Grains, by Marks Daily Apple
List of Cold Water Fish
EWG’S Seafood Resource
Macros Part 1: What Are Macros?
Macros Part 2: Why Track Them?
Macros Part 3: How To Build Your Own Personal Macro Profile…and Use It!
Why no gum?
THE POTATO ARGUMENT – read the data and you decide!
*Dr. Cordain on “Are Potatoes Paleo”
*Mark Sisson, playfully on potatoes
*Robb Wolf on potatoes
*The Whole 30 on potatoes
*Chris Kresser’s take on potatoes
HERE WE GO AGAIN! The 2016 Summer Paleo Challenge!
Starts Saturday, June 11th and will conclude on Friday July 1st
What’s included in a typical Paleo Challenge:
KICK OFF MEETINGS – done.
PREP DAYS – get on it!
START DATE – 6/11
END DATE – 7/1
Our Paleo Challenges – well, mostly Paleo – will give your body it’s best fighting chance to be it’s healthiest:
- Lower inflammation (read: less aches and pains),
- Optimize metabolism; give your body foods to make it function better
- Populate your gut with good bugs! Paying attention to eating enough fruits and vegetables can optimize your gut biome and improve your immune system, among other things!
- Enhance the results you see from CrossFit! Focusing on getting enough protein, enough but not too many carbs, and enough but not too much fat can really dial in your training. See results faster!
- Decrease allergies. Have you noticed you allergies creep up as your diet craps out? There’s a connection. You’ll be amazed!
- Want to lose a little body fat?…or gain some? One of the tracks will be macros and micros…dialing in the quantity and quality of your diet not only makes you smarter, but gives you better results.
PARTICIPANTS COMMIT TO DOING THE FOLLOWING
(*Note…we always make exceptions…the person who “didn’t see the blog”, “was out of town”, “decided late”….please don’t make us do that this time. Make the commitment. Be at the kickoff meeting. Ask questions ahead of time. Prepare. Put your big boy/girl pants on and be an adult!)
- Complete the application for the Challenge you chose:
- Application for Paleo Challenge 2016 (#8)
- Complete your application and submit (with your $20) at the Coaches Desk.
- Get measured! We believe that if you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it, and that includes your body composition and your CrossFit performance! Schedule for body comp up at the box.
- Download the Rules, how’s and whys (um, and yea, read them!)
- Download the “Encouraged” and “Discouraged Foods” for your Challenge
- Download your Weekly Log (front back!)
- Have Questions?
- Never done this before? Attend the meeting! Missed it? Email Sam or Nic.
- Missed the meeting and the start of the challenge? We’ll do another challenge in the fall.
- Those that attended the meeting, have Sam’s cel. Nicole is taking half of this group, if you need her cel text or email Sam for it. Questions are welcome. While there are no stupid questions, there are lazy questions. Lazy questions (you didn’t try to research the answer or use common sense) with be met with sarcasm, but still answered, possibly rhetorically.
- Please post questions to our private FB group “Rebels on Paleo” so the the entire group doing the challenge can benefit from your questions/answers.
As always, we’ll have copies of the documents above at the box in RebelHealth.