If you’re anything like me, presentation matters! Dull pages, not pictures and no flair makes for a BOOOOOORING cookbook – a la “Joy of Cooking”, although it was a classic.
The new-er Paleo Cookbook on the scene is Well Fed. Nice odd shape, great images and a nice edgy format – recipe for success when combined with some very creative and yummy recipes.
The hubster is especially fond of the following recipe for Chocolate Chili – yep, even with the hot temps abound! Try it – the secret is in the spices and the beef broth – not so much in the lack of vegetables. I loaded this up with all the left over veggies from the prior week – fabu!
CHOCOLATE CHILI from the new cookbook Well Fed
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 medium onions, diced (about 2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 4 tsp)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) fire-roasted, chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup water
- Heat a large deep pot over medium-high heat, then add the coconut oil. When the oil is melted, add onions, stir with a wooden spoon and cook until they’re translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and as soon as it’s fragrant, about 30 seconds, crumble the ground meat into the pan with your hands, mixing with a wooden spoon to combine. Continue to cook the meat, stirring often, until it’s no longer pink.
- In a small bowl, crush the oregano between your palms to release its flavor, then add the chili powder, cumin, cocoa, allspice, and salt. Combine with a fork, then add to the pot, stirring like you mean it. Add tomato paste and stir until combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice, beef broth and water to the pot. Stir well. bring to a boil then reduce the heat so the chili enjoys a gentle simmer. Simmer uncovered for at least 2 hours. Do not skimp on the simmer.
Prep time: 20 minutes. Cook time, 2-3 hours – good for a Sunday!